In which Court a suit for Infringement should be instituted?

A suit for ‘Infringement’ should be instituted before the District Court having Jurisdiction to try the suit under sec.134 of Trademarks Act, 1999. Under the new Act, a Registered Proprietor can file the suit for infringement before the District Court within whose Jurisdiction he resides or carries on his business.

For example: a proprietor of a registered trademark in Bangalore can file a suit for Infringement in Bangalore City Civil Court against the rival trader/infringer of Kolkatta or Hyderabad.

Rate This Article

(28 out of 70 people found this article helpful)